Interments include those of:

​Dr. George H. Munhall, (1856-1934) and his spouse, Isabella L. "Belle" (Lowry) Munhall, (1853-1934), along with their children (unnamed, no dates available)

 

The Munhall name became notable in the region for brothers William, Capt. John, and Michael Munhall. Following the deaths of their parents in their childhood, the siblings came to Pittsburgh in 1834, and found work in coalmines. John opened a successful mercantile business in Elizabeth, PA, at the age of 17. The panic of 1857 left him stranded with his entire capital in trust to the miners. In the following year, John, along with his brothers, built the steamboat, "J. S. Cosgrove" after felling timber from the virgin territory. By John's retirement in 1867, the brothers had grown the fleet to include the steamboats "Grey Eagle," "Brilliant," and "Albion." John relocated from Oil City, PA, to an area known as the Bellwood Mines in 1880. This land eventually became known as the "Munhall Estate," and sat adjacent to farmland owned and operated by the City of Pittsburgh. The City Farm, as it was known, acted as a poor house and mental institution until 1892 when the structures were razed, and the land was partitioned and sold to be repurposed for the expanding steel mills owned by Carnegie, Phipps & Co. The Munhall Borough was founded in 1901 and included the Munhall Estate and portions of the sold City Farmland. John and William Munhall rest in a family plot in Allegheny Cemetery, Pittsburgh, and Michael Munhall rests at St. Mary Catholic Cemetery, Pittsburgh.

 

Dr. George Munhall was a son of Capt. John and Henrietta (Cunningham) Munhall, and one of eight children. He was born in Oil City, Venango County, Pennsylvania on 18 January 1856. He attended the Davenport, Iowa based Palmer School of Chiropractic Medicine, and worked for 37 years as a chiropractor and osteopath in his 15th Avenue, Homestead office where he treated some of the greatest athletes of the country. He retired in 1927, and wintered with his wife, Belle, in Florida. They had married in Homestead, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania on 24 May 1877. She was a daughter of Scotch-Irish immigrants, John D. and Mathilda (Francies) Lowry

 

​He was the last of his pioneer family, and died on 25 September 1934 at the age of 77. He died of a heart attack sustained at the residence of his niece and nephew, Mr. and Mrs. James G. Hill, at 1614 West Street, Homestead. 

Dr. Munhall had been a member of the Homestead I. O. O. F. # 1049, and attended the Presbyterian Church. 

He was survived by his wife and 22 nieces and nephews.

His funeral services were held in the Hill residence on 28 September 1934.

 

Information gathered from:

  • "Dr. George Munhall Dies in Homestead." The Pittsburgh Press, 27 Sep 1934, p. 2.

  • Barkes, Kevin. “Cemetery Bares Famous Names, History.” 5 Dec. 1973, pp. 7–7.

  • "John Munhall." A. Warner & Co., History of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, 1889.

  • Meinert, Norman J. “HOMESTEAD CEMETERY 2257 Main Street Homestead, PA 15120 (412) 461-1818.” Homestead Cemetery, Homestead, PA, 5 Dec. 2012, sites.rootsweb.com/~njm1/08Homestead.html.

  • Vojtko, Margaret Mary. “In Memoriam Homestead Cemetery - 1896-1986.” The Valley Mirror, 8 Jan. 1987, pp. 8–12.

  • “William Munhall, Founder of Borough, Passes Away.” Pittsburgh Gazette Times, 10 Dec. 1915, pp. 6–6.

  • Year: 1860; Census Place: McKeesport, Alleghany, Pennsylvania; Roll: M653_1063; Page: 397; Family History Library Film: 805063

  • Year: 1870; Census Place: Oil City, Venango, Pennsylvania; Roll: M593_1460; Page: 439A

  • Year: 1920; Census Place: Homestead Ward 3, Allegheny, Pennsylvania; Roll: T625_1513; Page: 1B; Enumeration District: 143

20210327_122755.jpg
Negley Replacement Stone.jpeg

Interments include those of:

Daniel Frederick Negley, (1843 - 1910) and his second spouse, Rachel "Cecelia" (McDonald) Negley, (1849 - 1932).

 

Daniel is laid to rest in the Soldier's Circle; his wife is buried nearby in Old Section F, lot 82.

 

Alexander Negley was born in Hessen, Germany in 1734 to Swiss parents, Jacob Negley and Margaret (Mohr) Negley Leh. He immigrated to America with his family at the age of five in 1739. He worked as a blacksmith and served as a Private in the American Revolutionary War before settling in Allegheny County. He was among the first white men to inhabit the East Liberty area after purchasing a 278-acre farm called "Fertile Bottom" along the Allegheny River in 1778. The family quickly rose to sit among the financial elite within the city and developed the area which was formally annexed by Pittsburgh in 1868. Daniel F. Negley, a grandson of Alexander Negley, was a son of the wealthy pioneer settler of Western Pennsylvania, Casper Negley (buried in Allegheny Cemetery, Lawrenceville). Their family farm sat at the entrance of Highland Park, part of which was later used to build a mansion for Senator William Flinn.

 

According to Daniel’s 1910 obituary, he died at the age of 70 at his residence on 255 West Eighth Avenue in Homestead on 14 March 1910; he was a prominent steel worker and had been a resident in the district for the past 12 years. At the outbreak of the Civil war, he enlisted in Company I, Third Pennsylvania Volunteers and was injured at the battle of Pittsburg Landing. He was a member of the Lutheran church, the G. A. R., and the Army and Navy Union. He is buried within the Soldiers Circle within the Homestead Cemetery.

His first marriage to Mary Coleman of the East End ended up her death in 1881. Together, they had two children, Charles C. Negley and Marie (Samuel) Wilson, who survived him. He married his second wife, Rachel Cecelia (McDonald) Eberman in 1884. Her previous spouse, Sidney R. Eberman, had passed in 1882; together with Mr. Eberman, they had five children. She worked as a boarding house operator within Homestead, and died on 29 December 1932 at the age of 83.

His 2 PM funeral services, conducted by Rev. D. Upton Bair of the Messiah Lutheran Church, were held in his residence at 255 Eighth Avenue, West Homestead. The G. A. R. conducted honors for him at the Homestead Cemetery later that afternoon.

 

The family’s namesake roadways, South and North Negley Avenues, connect the suburbs of Highland Park Historic District, East Liberty, Friendship, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill North, and Squirrel Hill South

 

Information gathered from:

  • “Daniel F. Negley.” Pittsburgh Daily Post, 16 Mar 1910, pp. 3.

  • “Death Record: Daniel F. Negley.” The Pittsburgh Press, 15 Mar 1910, pp 5.

  • “Guide to the Negley Family Papers 1862-1922.” Historic Pittsburgh, historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3AUS-QQS-mss863/viewer.

  • "Personal - Casper Negley." The Pittsburgh Daily Post. 12 May 1877, pp.4.

  • Rishel, Joseph F. "Founding Families of Pittsburgh: The Evolution of a Regional Elite 1760-1910. University of Pittsburgh Press. 1990.

  • "Veteran - Daniel F. Negley Came of an Old Pittsburg Family." The Daily Messenger, Pittsburgh. 14 Mar 1910, pp. 8.

B Annex, Farragut Street entrance

Interments include those of:

Rev. Edgar Price Tunie, D. D., (1893 - 1968), with his spouse, Effie D. Tunie, (1891 - 1963); their sons, Edgar P. Tunie, Jr., (1918 - 1987) and spouse, Sharnelle C. Tunie, (1930 - ?), and James Waddy Tunie, Sr., (1927 - 2012), with his daughter, Terri L. (Tunie) Reed, (1955 - 1992);

Rev. Donald A. Tunie, PhD, (1932 - 1965);

Kenneth B. Tunie, (1923 - 2004), his spouse, Norma J. Tunie, (1932 - 1993);

The Tunies have been a prominent family within the Homestead area for nearly a century. Rev. Dr. Edgar P. Tunie served as Pastor for the Clark Memorial Baptist Church of Homestead, still located on Glenn Street, for 32 years until his passing at the age of 74 in 1968. He had been a member of the Pittsburgh Ministerial Association, Homestead Ministerium, Board of the Salvation Army, executive board of the Homestead Community Center, Race Relations Commission, Pittsburgh Council of Churches, and the executive committee of the Homestead Area NAACP.

 

Mr. James W. Tunie, Sr., a son of Rev. Dr. E. P. Tunie, went on to found the Tunie Funeral Home, Inc., in 1960 which has faithfully serviced the Homestead and surrounding areas since its incorporation. Alongside his ex-wife, Ms. Evelyn Hawkins Tunie, another of the firms funeral directors, Mr. Tunie, Sr., grew the business, relocating over time. He was a dedicated and compassionate funeral director until his passing in 2012 at the age of 85. The business remains a pillar of strength to the families they serve within the Homestead community. 

Information gathered from:

  • McConnell Schaarsmith, Amy. “Obituary: James W. Tunie Sr. / Funeral Home Owner in Homestead since 1960.” Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 19 Dec. 2012.

  • Meinert, Norman J. “HOMESTEAD CEMETERY 2257 Main Street Homestead, PA 15120 (412) 461-1818.” Homestead Cemetery, Homestead, PA, 5 Dec. 2012, sites.rootsweb.com/~njm1/08Homestead.html.

  • “Rev. Dr. Edgar P. Tunie.” The Pittsburgh Press, 27 Feb. 1968, pp. 42–42.